Given the ever-growing number of devices in the IoT, it is crucial to devote proper consideration to device management. This is the foundation of any IoT solution. It is what enables companies to stay on top of the heterogeneity and diversity of constantly evolving devices and assets, thus ensuring that an IoT solution stays up and running even as technology evolves. A sophisticated device management solution addresses the various challenges involved in IoT deployments:
- A variety of different device classes come together.
- Depending on the domain, companies have to deal with various protocols, legacy systems, and standards.
- Given the large number of devices distributed around the world, it becomes increasingly difficult to keep track.
- With IoT deployments growing in scale, managing devices in the field becomes more complex over time.
- Companies have to ensure that their IoT deployments are secure.