The IoT is a very dynamic environment. Steady improvements to what you offer is therefore key. This makes software and firmware updates a crucial consideration. On the one hand, they enable companies to address security issues; on the other hand, they offer a means of providing customers with new functionalities. While software and firmware updates play an important role in today’s IoT landscape, they also involve a number of challenges:
- The difficulty of keeping track of devices and assets distributed around the world.
- Companies have to keep track of different device and asset configurations.
- Security breaches or software bugs require companies to react quickly and efficiently.
- Manually providing software updates on-site is time-consuming and not customer-friendly.
- Updates have to be installed in a secure and reliable manner.